Peacebuilding and prevention
Work on this focus themes started with two events on preventive diplomacy and conflict prevention in 2011. As part of these events, the Platform was asked to explore the link between business and conflict prevention and to commission a paper on this theme.
The discussions and the outputs the events became the basis for a 1-year process on an Action Framework for Business and Peacebuilding. The action framework focuses on the dispute resolution and prevention capacities of local actors on the ground, as well as on the respective roles of international actors – including but not limited to business – in strengthening them. This initiative has evolved as a partnership with Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) and the United Nations Peacebuilding Support Office (PBSO), including two multi-stakeholder retreats in 2012 financed by FES.
The output of the first retreat became yet again the basis for the intensification of efforts. A PeaceNexus Foundation grant awarded to the Platform in August 2012 previews a systematic effort for (a) collecting good practice of conflict prevention around business investments in fragile environments, (b) conducting a field study in Uganda, and (c) developing a proposal for a ‘Business and Conflict Prevention Hub’ to be administered by the Geneva Peacebuilding Platform. These efforts will be inputs to consolidate an international network of business and conflict prevention professionals to be initiated in 2013 and 2014.
Beyond the focus on business and conflict prevention, the Platform has promoted a forward-looking discussion on a new vision for conflict prevention on the occasion of the 20th anniversary of the ‘Agenda for Peace’.
- Entry Points for a New Prevention Agenda: Connecting New York, Geneva and ‘At-Risk’ Contexts (Platform Brief 8, May 2013)
- Confronting Risk, Mobilizing Action: A Framework for Conflict Prevention in the Context of Large-scale Business Investments (Paper in partnership with the Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, November 2012)
- Safe Communities, Resilient Systems: Towards a New Action Framework on Business and Peacebuilding (Platform Brief 5, June 2012)
- Operationalizing Conflict Prevention as Strong, Resilient Systems: Approaches, Evidence, Action Points (Platform Paper 3, February 2012)
- Business and Conflict Prevention: Towards a Framework for Action (Platform Paper 2, November 2011)
- Strengthening Preventive Diplomacy: The Role of Private Actors (Paper in partnership with the Graduate Institute, November 2011)
- 20 Years of ‘An Agenda for Peace’: A new vision for conflict prevention? (15 June 2012)
- Best Practises in Conflict Prevention, Non-State Mediation Actors and the Preventive Role of the Private Sector (16 May 2012)
- Safe Communities, Resilient Systems: Towards a New Action Framework for Business and Peacebuilding (25-27 March 2012)
- Strengthening International Support for Conflict Prevention (1 December 2011)
- Preventive Diplomacy and the Role of Private Actors (15 April 2011)